Thursday, January 27, 2011

French Onion Soup

Beef stock (broth) looks horrible. It's water from a bunch of boiled bones. When it's chilled it turns into what resembles brown Jello. But it's the base for the most amazing soups imaginable.

So I chopped 2 1/2 pounds of onions, which made me cry, but not nearly as much as that time I made stuffed onions (never make stuffed onions, believe me, not worth it). I caramelized them and cooked them with my amazing beef broth and poured the soup into little dishes.

There is something immensely satisfying about floating small pieces of toast onto bowls of soup. I have no idea why. Very strange. I mean does anyone ever think about floating small pieces of toast onto bowls of soup? A great mystery.
Once I finished having fun with toast, I sprinkled some Swiss cheese on top and broiled the little bowls of soup so they looked beautiful.

I wonder who first decided to put the toast and cheese on top. Someone, no doubt who wanted to hide the fact that what you are eating is little more than water boiled with bones and onions.

Water boiled with bones and onions is ridiculously delicious, despite what you may have heard. There is a reason French Onion is one of my favorite soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment