Thursday, October 14, 2010

Clay Baked Casserole

Don't ask how to pronounce it. Vegetable Tian is, according to Ms. Stewart, a Provencal creation named for the traditional earthenware baking dish it is cooked in. Basically it is a refined eggplant-tomato-zucchini-onion casserole.

I do not have a tian, but I do have some earthenware pizza pans which I used instead. My  vegetable tian was not nearly as pretty as the one in the picture, mostly because I had a very fat eggplant. The slices were huge. There was also some interesting color variation because half of my tomatoes were green.

Whole cloves of garlic, sprigs of rosemary & thyme, and a lot of oil went on top. I stuck it in the oven and went to make biscuits.

We popped the garlic out of it shells and spread it on the biscuits. The tian was delicious, even though I'm not too fond of zucchini. It tasted slightly of the dish I had cooked it in which I guess is why you bake it in earthenware. My dad showed us how to sprinkle the leaves of the herbs on our food but then wished he hadn't because we each immediately grabbed another sprig.

Yum yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment